Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software

Alcohol Metabolism

Alcohol metabolism, or ethanol metabolism, is a biological pathway that is necessary to an organism's health. Typical processes in the body produce alcohol as a byproduct so the degradation or metabolism of alcohol is a natural process. In addition to the byproduct of fermentation, the ingestion of alchohol makes use of this alcohol metabolism. The human body can metabolize carbohydrates, fats, and alcohols for energy. If all three are available from the diet, the alcohol will be metabolized prior to any other forms of energy. The alcohol passes from the mouth down the digestive tract into the stomach, and then small intestine. Although there are a number of different processes involved in alcohol metabolism, one of the main ones is oxidation. This process detoxifies alcohol and prevents it from damaging the bodily functions and cells. There is some alcohol, in minute amounts, that will escape oxidation and manifest in the breath and the urine. This is one reason why breathalyzers are able to predict the amount of alcohol one has ingested. During alcohol absorption, the ingested alcohol travels through the digestive tract. In the stomach, about 20% of the alcohol is absorbed into the stomach lining. The remaining 80% will pass into the small intestine. This is where the alcohol is permitted into the bloodstream. From the blood, alcohol is then transported to the liver where it is processed by several enzymes like alcohol dehydrogenase and cytochrome P45OIIE1. It takes about one hour for the amount of alcohol in one drink to be fully metabolized and for the blood alcohol content to drop back down to normal.

Anti-pan ADH antibody binds against alcohol dehydrogenase. Alcohol dehydrogenases are a group of enzymatic proteins in the liver that facilitate the conversion of alcohols into aldehydes by stripping two hydrogen atoms off from the alcohol molecule thus converting it into acetaldehyde. Alcohol dehydrogenases are responsible for breaking down the majority of the alcohol that enters the body. Those suffering from flush syndrome (some East Asians and practically all American Indians), have a very efficient form of alcohol dehydrogenase that is super effective in breaking alcohol down into acetaldehyde. Unfortunately, acetaldehyde is a carcinogenic compound that in high concentrations causes flushing of the skin of the face or body, headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, and other extreme physical unpleasantness. In addition to the extremely efficient dehydrogenase that readily converts alcohol into large amounts of acetaldehyde, those with flush syndrome also have a far less efficient form of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase which is only 8% as efficient as the typical form at decomposing the toxic acetaldehyde. This allows for those individuals to escape intoxication with large amounts of alcohol ingested, but to suffer some very serious side effects from the buildup of toxic acetaldehyde. Anti-Sorbitol Dehydrogenase Antibody binds against sorbitol dehydrogenase. Sorbitol dehydrogenase converts sorbitol to fructose. This process is part of the polyol pathway that plays an integral role in sperm physiology. Sorbitol dehydrogenase also plays a role in the motility of sperm by providing them a source of energy. Sorbitol dehydrogenase is localized in the membrane of the mitochondrion and in the flagellum of sperm and expressed in kidney tissue, prostate tissue, and epididymis.

 
Product Number Title Applications Host Clonality
AC21-0217-01 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (AMCA) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-02 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (AP) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-03 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (APC) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-04 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (APC-Cy5.5) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-05 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (APC-Cy7) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-06 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (Avidin) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-07 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (Biotin) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-08 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (BPE) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-09 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (Cy3) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-10 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (Cy5) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-11 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (Cy5.5) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal
AC21-0217-12 Anti-CBR3 Antibody (FITC) ELISA, WB Goat Polyclonal